Weekends in May are often spent spring cleaning the home in an effort to tidy up and get organized for the new season. The annual tradition for many homeowners is also an opportune time to identify and address the pest hot spots around their properties, according to Gary Weisberg, owner of A1 Exterminators.
“The warmer weather often leads to greater pest activity, so homeowners shouldn’t be surprised if they start to notice more
ants, termites, cockroaches and other pests in and around their homes as the season progresses,” said Weisberg. “Practicing good sanitation and proper upkeep in the home are essential steps in protecting against the health and property threats posed by these common springtime pests, which is why we encourage homeowners to consider pest-proofing in between wiping down the windows and changing the sheets.”
Homeowners should follow these simple tips from the National Pest Management Association while spring cleaning to prevent an infestation:
- Seal up cracks and small openings along the foundation of the house.
- Clean out clogged gutters and downspouts to ensure they are properly functioning.
- Repair loose mortar and replace worn weather-stripping around all windows and doors.
- Screen windows and doors.
- Cut back tree branches and other plants from the house.
- Keep kitchens clean by wiping down counters, sinks, floors and shelves.
- Store food in airtight containers.
- Avoid leaving pet’s food dishes out for long periods of time.
- Keep trash containers clean and sealed, both indoors and outdoors.
- Empty the garbage frequently.
- Eliminate sources of moisture or standing water from leaky pipes or faucets.
Of course, if pest problems do arise, contact us so we can properly handle the infestation. For more information, contact us at 800-525-4825.