By Mary Ylisela
If you live in a climate where the temperatures get cold during the winter, you may have unexpected guests in your home when ants invite themselves in from the cold. Left alone to populate your home, ants may start in one room and end up all over the house. Getting rid of house ants in the winter requires you to drive them away, then keep them from returning.
- Moderately Easy
- Mix 2 cups of vinegar with half a bucket of warm water. Pour some of your vinegar solution into a spray bottle.
- Soak a clean cloth in the diluted vinegar solution, then squeeze out the excess. Use the vinegar-dampened cloth to wipe down kitchen countertops, the inside and outside of kitchen cabinets and the exterior of your kitchen appliances. If ants have been spotted in any other rooms of the house, wipe down hard-surfaced and non-upholstered furniture in the infested rooms, as well as hardwood or tile floors, with the vinegar solution to repel ants.
- Mop your floor with the remaining vinegar solution. Vinegar’s smell dissipates as soon as the vinegar dries.
- Spray ants seen in your home with the vinegar spray in the bottle. Keep the spray bottle handy in the kitchen or other areas where ants are prevalent.
- Place pet food bowls inside shallow cake pans. Fill the cake pans halfway with water. This creates a protective moat that drowns ants as they attempt to get to your dog or cat’s food.
- Sprinkle cinnamon along the back of your countertops to repel ants from trying to get to the sugar bowl or other food items. The cinnamon repels the ants, while giving your kitchen a pleasant fragrance.
Tips & Warnings
- When making a salad, save your cucumber peelings and place them where ants have been spotted. The scent of cucumbers will drive the ants away.
- If ants have been present in the house for months and continually show up no matter what you do, call an exterminator.
Call A1 Exterminators at 1-800-525-4825 (1-800-499-5866 for Cape Cod) to solve your pest management problem!
Article Source: http://www.ehow.com/print/how_6752550_rid-house-ants-winter.html