Spider Bites

Most spiders found in the United States are harmless, but the brown recluse spider and black widow spider are called “venomous” because their bite is poisonous. If you were bitten by a spider, you might not even know, but you would likely notice swelling of the area and skin changes. A scab usually forms in a week or so. Try not to pick or scratch at the scab to prevent infection.

If you think you were bitten by a venomous spider, call your health care provider as soon as possible and follow the tips below.

  • Wash the area with soap and water 2-3 times a day until it feels better.
  • Put an ice pack or a cold, wet washcloth on the bite for 15-20 minutes.
  • Apply antibiotic cream.
Tagged with: ,