Since bed bugs are great travelers and can go long periods without eating, they can come into your home easily undetected.
Follow these tips on preventing bed bugs from getting into your home.
- Check thrift or second-hand furniture and accessories before bringing them home
- Consider a protective mattress cover to protect your entire mattress and box springs
- Check your protective mattress cover for holes or tears
- Simplify and get rid of clutter
- Vacuum regularly
- Be cautious when using community laundry facilities
- Transfer your laundry items in plastic bags and use new bags for the return home trip
- For multi-family homes:
- Consider putting up door sweeps
- Seal baseboard cracks and holes around electrical or light panels