Mice typically stick to the darkest, unoccupied parts of your home including crawl spaces, air ducts, and wall cavities. Additionally, they usually stay hidden during daylight hours, so you may have an infestation long before you ever actually spot a mouse. Here are some signs that you may have a mouse problem.
- Rustling or scratching sounds in the walls or under floorboards
- Small holes in food containers, old fabric, or cardboard boxes
- Droppings that look like small, dark seeds
- Unusual ammonia-like smells
- Nests made of soft, shredded materials in rarely used areas of your home (under cabinets, behind appliances, in basements, etc.)
- Feet and tail tracks on dusty floors
Look for these signs anywhere food is stored, as well as along floorboards in basements, cellars, lofts, crawl spaces, and other out-of-the-way places.