A1 Exterminators is proud to celebrate National Pest Management Month, a public observance formally recognized each year by the National Pest Management Association (NPMA) to acknowledge the pest management industry’s commitment to the protection of public health and property from household pest threats. Additionally, as spring is an especially busy time for pest-related activity and we encourage homeowners to take proactive pest proofing steps in the coming weeks.
A1 Exterminators is proud to be a member of an industry which plays an important role in people’s everyday lives and we are committed to helping homeowners protect their homes and ensuring public places and residences are free of disease-carrying pests.
Pests will be starting to emerge from their winter homes, and we encourage the public to work on simple home improvements and landscaping projects. This will make a big difference in keeping away an infestation during the warmer months.
In New England, the most common spring pests include, carpenter ants, ants and termites, bedbugs and rats and mice.
NPMA experts recommend the following tips to pest-proof the home this spring:
- Seal any cracks on the outside of the home with a silicone-based caulk, including entry points for utilities and pipes.
- Replace weather-stripping and repair loose mortar around the foundation and windows.
- Keep tree branches and shrubbery well trimmed and away from the house.
- Repair fascia and rotted roof shingles.
- Keep mulch at least 15 inches from the foundation.
- Eliminate sources of standing water around the house, including birdbaths and in clogged gutters.
- Keep basements, attics, and crawl spaces well ventilated and dry.
- Store garbage in sealed containers and dispose of it regularly.
- Avoid leaving pet’s food dishes out for long periods of time.
- Contact A1 Exterminators if an infestation is suspected.
For more information on common household pests or more pest-proofing tips, please visit www.a1exterminators.com.