There’s no denying that commercial facilities are susceptible to the occasional pest invasion. Unfortunately, a small pest problem in this type of environment can quickly escalate into a full-blown infestation, which may result in a damaged reputation and significant monetary loss to your business. Being proactive is key to avoiding pest issues in the first place.
Pest Prevention Tips for Businesses
Consider the following steps to minimize chances of an infestation:
- Hire a professional pest control company who specialize in commercial to conduct a thorough audit of the exterior of the property, taking note of any areas conducive to pest activity, such as clutter or debris, open trash, standing water, overgrown vegetation or unmaintained neighboring properties.
- A licensed pest control professional may suggest, as part of the IPM approach, sealing any cracks or crevices in the structure, including entry points for utilities and pipes, with silicone caulk and steel wool.
- They may install non-attracting lights, such as sodium vapor bulbs, around the facility to discourage pests that are attracted to lights.
- As part of a monitoring service, a commercial pest control company will perform regular indoor inspections of storage areas, equipment centers, processing areas, locker rooms, etc. for droppings and other signs of rodent infestations.
- You will need to ensure the facility has an adequate waste management system in place. Garbage should be stored in sealed containers at all times, and disposed of on a regular basis. If there is a dumpster on the property, it should be emptied a few times each month.
- Recommendations may be made to make sure you have proper drainage at the foundation. These include installing gutters or diverts, which will channel water away from the building.
- Clean high-volume areas daily, such as break rooms and kitchenettes, where crumbs and trash are more likely to build up.
Prevention and exclusion tactics are good steps to limiting the number of pests that may enter your commercial facility. However, the work shouldn’t stop there. Forming a partnership with A1 Exterminators to create a pest control plan for your company will be proactive in your pest control.