The National Pest Management Association (NPMA) recommends some additional tips to keep pantries pest-free during the spring:
- Store food in Tupperware-type containers with secure lids.
- Make it a habit while grocery shopping to carefully inspect food products in cardboard packages for signs of damage prior to placing it in the cart. Only purchase items that show no sign of damage.
- Check expiration dates on baking ingredients before use.
- Keep kitchen counters, floors and sinks clean because crumbs and spills quickly attract pests.
- Dispose of garbage regularly in sealed receptacles.
- Seal cracks or holes around the stovepipes and water pipes.
- Eliminate all moisture sites, including leaking pipes and clogged drains.
If homeowners discover any pests in the pantry, they should thoroughly clean the shelves with a vacuum and discard the infested food in an outdoor trash bin.