The holiday season is upon us, which means families will be spending a lot of time cooking and baking in the kitchen. When digging through your cabinets and storage for baking necessities, like cookie cutters and containers of flour, make sure you are leaving unwanted “pantry pests” out of the mix. To maintain high holiday spirits, A1 Exterminators would like to share a few tips for keeping these pesky pests from spoiling your holiday baking traditions.
“Pantry pests” are insects that tend to gather around food often stored in pantries and cabinets such as flour, dry cereals, spices, candies and chocolate. Common pantry pests include Indian meal moths and Merchant Grain Beetles.
“Preparing food for the holidays should fun, but finding creepy crawlies in your baking ingredients can really dampen your spirit,” says Gary Weisberg, Owner of A1 Extermiantors. “By following a few simple steps, families can feel secure that their tasty creations are pest free.”
Follow tips to avoid pantry pests:
- Immediately wipe up any crumbs or spills from countertops, tables, floors, shelves an inside
- Store food in airtight containers and dispose of garbage regularly in sealed receptacles.
- Carefully inspect packages before placing them in the cart at the grocery store. Only purchase food in sealed packages that show no sign of damage.
- Install door sweeps on exterior doors and repair damaged screens.
- Check expiration dates on baking ingredients before use.
- Eliminate all moisture sites, including leaking pipes and clogged drains.
For more information on pantry pests, please visit www.a1exterminators.com