Spring is officially here and with it comes one of the most persistent warm-weather pests—ants. As temperatures rise, A1 Exterminators warns that America’s number one nuisance pest will invade homes across New England in search of food. While most species present problems in people’s pantries and kitchens, some species can deliver painful bites while others inflict property damage. According to a survey from the (NPMA), more than half of consumers list ants as their top pest concern.
“As most homeowners know, ants are especially drawn to the kitchen and their sheer numbers can be daunting” said Gary Weisberg, Owner, at A1 Exterminators. “Ants are most likely to invade New England homes this spring, but eliminating food sources can help keep them at bay.”
Of all the U.S. ant species, carpenter ants pose the most risks for homeowners. Carpenter ants excavate wood in order to build their nests, which can compromise a home’s structural soundness, in New England.
Although ants can be difficult to control once they have entered a home, the following preventative measures can play a major role in helping to avoid infestations:
- Wipe up crumbs and spills immediately
- Store garbage in sealed containers and remove from the home frequently
- Keep food packages closed or sealed and store products in air-tight containers
- Avoid leaving food out on the counter or pet food out on the floor for long periods of time
- Repair holes or gaps in window and door screens
- Seal cracks and holes on the outside of the home including entry points for utilities and pipes
- Keep tree branches and shrubbery well-trimmed and away from the house
- Replace weather-stripping and repair loose mortar around basement foundation and windows
- If you suspect an ant or any pest infestation in your home, contact a licensed pest professional to inspect, identify and treat the problem
“With more than 700 species of ants in the U.S., many of which create huge colonies, prevention is the key to an ant-free home,” added Weisberg.
For more information on ants, please visit www.a1exterminators.com.