Because rats are nocturnal and are most active at night, an infestation can develop before a rodent is ever seen. So it is best to keep an eye—and an ear—out for signs of rodent presence.
- Live or dead rats.
- Droppings, especially around human or pet food or in or around trash areas.
- Noises in the dark, such as scratching sounds from the attic.
- Nests or piled nesting materials in hidden areas.
- Evidence of gnawing of wires or structural wood.
- Signs of burrows around the yard; under the home or outbuildings; or gnawed fruits in trees.
- Smudge marks along walls or rodent hairs along paths, in nests, or near food.