Pest –Proof Your Food
- Store all boxed or loose food in containers that seal tight – plastic, glass or coffee cans with lids.
- Store as much food in your refrigerator as you can, especially foods you keep for a long time, such as flours, rice and nuts.
- To store large bags of pet food, use a metal garbage can with a lid.
Manage Your Garage
- Use garbage cans with tight-fitting lids (metal ones are best) for garbage and recycling.
- Clean them often, inside and out.
- Rinse recyclables before throwing out in designated bins.
- In apartment buildings, put tied up garbage bags down the chute or bring them to the building’s trash bins every day.
- Bring garbage cans or bags to the curb as close to pick up as possible. Leaving them out overnight invites rats.