To ensure that the attic is home to only old family keepsakes, homeowners should follow these easy-to-do pest-proofing tips.
- First, start outside by trimming any overhanging tree branches and overgrown bushes and vines near the home that could allow rodents to access the roof.
- If present, secure the chimney with a cap, and use high quality, rust-proof wire mesh to cover any vents or roof openings.
- Avoid leaving pet food or trash outside the house for long periods of time, making sure to use sturdy, sealable trash cans if you do.
- Inside, organize the attic to eliminate any clutter and opt for plastic bins rather than cardboard boxes when storing items.
- Additionally, inspect both the interior and exterior of the attic, checking for any possible gaps or openings.
- Seal all cracks and holes with a silicone-based caulk, steel wool or a combination of both.