Remember these important points to use repellents safely:
Applying the Product
- Read and follow the label directions to ensure proper use; be sure you understand how much to apply.
- Apply repellents only to exposed skin and/or clothing. Do not use under clothing.
- Do not apply near eyes and mouth, and apply sparingly around ears.
- When using sprays, do not spray directly into face; spray on hands first and then apply to face.
- Never use repellents over cuts, wounds, or irritated skin.
- Do not spray in enclosed areas.
- Avoid breathing a spray product.
- Do not use it near food.
Other Safety Tips
- Check the label to see if there are warnings about flammability. If so, do not use around open flames or lit cigarettes.
- After returning indoors, wash treated skin and clothes with soap and water.
- Do not use any product on pets or other animals unless the label clearly states it is for animals.
- Most insect repellents do not work against lice or fleas.
- Store insect repellents safely out of the reach of children, in a locked utility cabinet or garden shed.