The first step in prevention is to be on the alert for termites. Termites rarely emerge from soil, mud tubes, or food sources through which they are tunneling. Most people are not aware they have termites until they see a swarm or come across damage during construction. Some of the ways to discover if you have termites are listed below:
- Examine, by probing, exposed wood for hollow spots (using a flat head screwdriver or similar tool).
- Identify termite swarms (sometimes ant swarms are mistaken as termites).
- Front wings longer than the hind wings
- Antennae bent at ninety degree angle
- Wings are roughly equal in length
- Antennae are straight; may droop