Spotting a line for food at a summer barbecue can be exciting, but not when it’s accompanied with a line of ants. A1 Exterminators says prevention of these picnic-crashing pests is key because they can be difficult to control once they infiltrate a property in large numbers.
“Summer cookouts, and the crumbs they leave behind, are the perfect targets for ants in need of food and water,” said Gary Weisberg, Owner. “There are, however, quick tips and tricks that homeowners can use to sidestep ant infestations. These simple efforts can go a long way, as ants can contaminate food and colony sizes can be quite large depending on the species.”
Homeowners can implement the following ant prevention recommendations from the National Pest Management Association (NPMA):
- Eliminate sources of moisture or standing water; repair leaky pipes or faucets.
- Quickly clean up crumbs and spills as soon as possible.
- Do the dishes, wipe down counters, tabletops, sweep up floors and remove trash regularly.
- Don’t leave leftover dog and cat food dishes sitting out all day; pick up dishes once the animals are done eating.
- Check under appliances and behind garbage cans where crumbs and residue can accumulate.
- Keep tree branches and other plants cut back from the house.
- Seal any cracks or small openings around the foundation of the home and repair ripped screens as these can serve as entry points.
For more information visit www.a1exterminators.com