The best advice for German cockroach prevention is to practice good sanitation. Roaches, like most common household pests, are attracted to food, water and shelter.
- Removing sources of food and water will help deter these pests.
- Be sure to keep food in sealed containers and clean up after each meal to avoid leaving crumbs.
- Eliminate moisture from leaky pipes and drains to ensure that if pests do get in, they won’t have ideal conditions in which they can thrive.
- Pests like roaches can enter structures through cracks and crevices around windows, doors, along foundations, ripped screens, and also through holes where utilities enter homes. Check these pots and make repairs as you come across them.
- Check over firewood, groceries, and other deliveries before you bring them into your house.
- To avoid hitchhiking pests, examine packages thoroughly before bringing them inside.
- If you acquire used furniture, used clothing or shoes, or other second-hand accessories, inspect everything thoroughly before introducing these items into your home.
- Vacuum often.
- Don’t leave crumbs or sticky residue in your kitchen. Keep where you eat and prepare food spotless