A1 Exterminators is joining the pest management industry in celebrating National Pest Management Month this April, a public observance recognized each year by the National Pest Management Association (NPMA) that is commitment to the protection of public health, food and property from common pest threats. A1 Exterminators encourages homeowners to take the proper precautions this spring to protect their homes from an unwanted infestation.
“Pests we regularly come in contact with are a public health concern and can severely compromise our quality of life. For example, rodents and cockroaches contaminate food, spread disease, and exacerbate allergy and asthma symptoms, while backyard pests like ticks and mosquitoes spread diseases like Lyme disease, West Nile virus and Zika virus,” said Gary Weisberg, Owner, A1 Exterminators. “This spring — prime time for these pests to emerge given the warmer weather — it’s important for homeowners to contact a pest professional for any infestation concerns.”
To assist homeowners in pest-proofing their homes this spring, NPMA experts and A1 Exterminators recommends the following:
- Eliminate sources of standing water around the house, including birdbaths and in clogged gutters to help reduce biting mosquito populations.
- Seal any cracks on the outside of the home with a silicone-based caulk, including entry points for utilities and pipes.
- Replace weather-stripping and repair loose mortar around the foundation and windows.
- Keep tree branches and shrubbery well trimmed and away from the house. Overhanging branches can act as highways into the home.
- Repair fascia and rotted roof shingles.
- Keep mulch at least 15 inches from the foundation.
- Keep basements, attics, and crawl spaces well ventilated and dry.
- Store garbage in sealed containers and dispose of it regularly.
- Avoid leaving pet food out in dishes for long periods of time.
- Consider partnering with a pest control professional to determine the best preventative service plan to suit your home and needs.
For more information on common household pests or more pest-proofing tips, please visit www.a1exterminators.com.