Weekends in May are often spent spring cleaning the home in an effort to tidy up and get organized for the new season. The annual tradition for many homeowners is also an opportune time to identify and address the pest hot spots around their properties, according to Gary Weisberg, owner of A1 Exterminators.
“The warmer weather often leads to greater pest activity, so homeowners shouldn’t be surprised if they start to notice more
ants, termites, cockroaches and other pests in and around their homes as the season progresses,” said Weisberg. “Practicing good sanitation and proper upkeep in the home are essential steps in protecting against the health and property threats posed by these common springtime pests, which is why we encourage homeowners to consider pest-proofing in between wiping down the windows and changing the sheets.”
Homeowners should follow these simple tips from the National Pest Management Association while spring cleaning to prevent an infestation:
- Seal up cracks and small openings along the foundation of the house.
- Clean out clogged gutters and downspouts to ensure they are properly functioning.
- Repair loose mortar and replace worn weather-stripping around all windows and doors.
- Screen windows and doors.
- Cut back tree branches and other plants from the house.
- Keep kitchens clean by wiping down counters, sinks, floors and shelves.
- Store food in airtight containers.
- Avoid leaving pet’s food dishes out for long periods of time.
- Keep trash containers clean and sealed, both indoors and outdoors.
- Empty the garbage frequently.
- Eliminate sources of moisture or standing water from leaky pipes or faucets.
Of course, if pest problems do arise, contact us so we can properly handle the infestation. For more information, contact us at 800-525-4825.
A1 Exterminators is joining the pest management industry in celebrating National Pest Management Month this April, a public observance recognized each year by the National Pest Management Association (NPMA) that is commitment to the protection of public health, food and property from common pest threats. A1 Exterminators encourages homeowners to take the proper precautions this spring to protect their homes from an unwanted infestation.
“Pests we regularly come in contact with are a public health concern and can severely compromise our quality of life. For example, rodents and cockroaches contaminate food, spread disease, and exacerbate allergy and asthma symptoms, while backyard pests like ticks and mosquitoes spread diseases like Lyme disease, West Nile virus and Zika virus,” said Gary Weisberg, Owner, A1 Exterminators. “This spring — prime time for these pests to emerge given the warmer weather — it’s important for homeowners to contact a pest professional for any infestation concerns.”
To assist homeowners in pest-proofing their homes this spring, NPMA experts and A1 Exterminators recommends the following:
- Eliminate sources of standing water around the house, including birdbaths and in clogged gutters to help reduce biting mosquito populations.
- Seal any cracks on the outside of the home with a silicone-based caulk, including entry points for utilities and pipes.
- Replace weather-stripping and repair loose mortar around the foundation and windows.
- Keep tree branches and shrubbery well trimmed and away from the house. Overhanging branches can act as highways into the home.
- Repair fascia and rotted roof shingles.
- Keep mulch at least 15 inches from the foundation.
- Keep basements, attics, and crawl spaces well ventilated and dry.
- Store garbage in sealed containers and dispose of it regularly.
- Avoid leaving pet food out in dishes for long periods of time.
- Consider partnering with a pest control professional to determine the best preventative service plan to suit your home and needs.
For more information on common household pests or more pest-proofing tips, please visit www.a1exterminators.com.